My Blog List

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blog 19: Reflection on Archives Essay

The archives project allowed me to gain insight into Roger Starr’s policy of Plan Shrinkage by providing with the personal interview and the news paper articles. As I progressed with my research I understood that the perception of society at the time and his own beliefs where different. Starr was labeled a racist by the residents of the slums, but he was more so just trying to keep the city afloat during a tough economical time. The introduction of the archives project was efficient and effective. I tend to value more a report or a personal interview having this in front of me lead to a better more clearer understanding behind his policy. The archives and the major research essay differed in levels of difficulty. With the archives the information and research was already provided the hardest aspect here really was just coming up with an idea as to how it should begin. The major research essay as with any independent research essay posed various difficulties. For starters: finding accurate sources that are not running off in their own opinionated tangents. Next: tracking down dates, times, and other graphical charts that pertain to certain events, populations, salaries, and other expenses which occurred at the time. Last up: I’d have to say was once obtaining all the information needed, having to then find a way to link all the information in a smooth transition. So between the two projects the archives was for sure the easier of the two but the major allowed me to generate a more opinionated thought and have more control as far as the content which to include.

No comments:

Post a Comment